How To Install WordPress On Plesk
I use Media Temple VPS for all my hosting. By default they come with PLESK to manage the server (although you can choose cPanel).
I prefer going the manual way.
Manual WordPress Installation on Plesk 12.5
Step 1: Upload WordPress
- Download the latest WordPress from wordpress.org
- Login to Plesk, go to Files (or File Manager)
- Your website files will go under either httpdocs or under your sites domain name (if you have more than one site in a webspace).
- Click Upload (previously called Add New File)
- Upload your zip file.
- Extract the zip file. This will extract all files under a folder called wordpress. We don’t want this, so…
- Navigate into the WordPress folder and select all files and folders and click Move. The choose the root folder for your site (either httpdocs or the domain name).
That’s WordPress installed. Now for the database.
Step 2: Create the Database
- Select your Domain, and choose Add Database
- Enter a database name, ensure your select the correct related site and create a database user. Generate a strong password. Choose local connections only. Make a note of names and passwords!
Tip: Make the db name strong (like mysiteGd4ffz), and make the db user the same as the db name (makes things easier).
Step 3: WordPress Config
- In Plesk admin, bring up the File Manager for your domain.
- Rename wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php
- Edit the wp-config.php file (click the little menu to the right of the file and select Edit in Text Editor.
- Add in your db name, user, and password in the appropriate place.
- Click OK
Step 4: Test
Go to your domain name in your browser, and it should automatically bring up the WordPress installer.
That’s it. You should have a working wordpress installation on your web server.